Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Sam Paine

I grew up on comics and cartoons, aside from the novels and biographies I enjoyed so much. The attraction was strong and it made me want to become an artist. My brother, Sam, was just naturally one. But it was a struggle for me and I gave it up by my teenage years.There have been sporadic reversions, but nothing so earthshaking as to brag about it. But now I have a concept for a comic strip, which means I need to come up with comic strip art. I made a drawing off Van Gogh's bedroom painting for his room, removing the table in the corner and giving it a chest of drawers. I have a face for him, but the body work is lacking. Still much groundwork to be done. There is a little levity in it, but it is no humor strip. It's the adventures of a man sent to a nursing home to live. Because he has most of his wits and gets around pretty well with his cane, he is no happy camper. I have the first week scripted, but need lots more for when I decide to share it with a syndicate. It's a tough market to break into, but I have to try. The character's name is Sam Paine, at this point. Sam, because my brother sparked the interest in doing a strip about the elderly. Paine, because he is expected to have a spirit similar to that of Tom Paine.

No comments:

Post a Comment