Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Closing in on chapter two

When I was a boy we listened to western series in what was tagged by later generations, The Golden Age of Radio. My brothers and I walked to a theater on Saturdays, where the kiddie matinee featured many films about Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers and The Durango Kid. Some Saturdays the family drove to a drive in theater, The Motor Inn Drive In, in Fresno, where we saw, among other films, High Noon, Rawhide, Westward the Women, and The Three Godfathers. Eventually I went on my own to see Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, and such. Many novels I read were by Max Brand and, later, Louis L'Amour.

So, I have a long history with the western genre. Yet, I was reluctant to try my hand, until just recently, when I took the plunge. I am not blazing any new trails with it. The theme is traditional. I wouldn't attempt spaghetti and in fact only truly love one spaghetti western: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

I am hopeful this work will lead to perhaps a series, featuring one central character. More later on - 

No comments:

Post a Comment