Sunday, January 1, 2017

Encounter in New Mexico

I have my life through admired the native American Indian and have been outraged that encroaching whites committed their crimes against them. I reverenced a vision of the wise old Indian, a man in tune with the Earth and his past and felt I had perchance met one that day in New Mexico, when I the hitcher got let out at a restaurant. He was standing beside the door, his greeting scarcely a grunt. I felt honored that he followed me in and sat next to me at the counter. 

"Give my friend a hamburger," he told the waitress, who frowned.

"Give my friend a hamburger," he repeated.

She scolded the old Indian, who broke into a fit of coughing.

I got a cup of coffee.

As I sipped the tepid liquid, the Indian decided to impart a great wisdom upon me. "Don't ball up," he said between fits of coughing. "Don't ball up," he said several times.

I gulped the last of my coffee, paid hurriedly, and got the hell out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment