Saturday, December 31, 2016

Children of the Ward

I watch the children playing, 
See them dancing in the yard. 
Preserve the words they`re saying, 
Like a fancy Christmas card. 
The moments that betray them 
Are the moments caught off guard; 
Yet the dragons cannot slay them, 
Not these children of the ward. 
I hear their mothers calling 
As they empty out the yard, 
Echoing their footsteps, 
Like bells tolling in my heart. 
I gaze upon the portrait 
Of my brother who`s been gone: 
Time itself cannot prorate 
The memory and the song. 

To see you I would kiss you; 
And give hugs until you groan. 
Mama`s off to find you, 
I must go it all alone - 
I`ve been across some borders, 
To describe my private hell; 
In deep and shallow waters, 
Like a bucket in a well. 
Each story has an anchor; 
Yes I dragged mine through the bay; 
I was lucky just to find her, 
Fortunate she went my way. 

The sun is like a prism: 
See it straining through the glass. 
My mind`s not like a prison; 
I`m no prisoner to the past. 
There`s a beauty in the foment, 
And a rage to top the crest; 
Got to have myself a moment, 
So I`m ready for the rest.

* In the same cadence as Bob Dylan's Every Grain of Sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment